After visiting a doctor or nasal surgeon, some people find their “sinus problems” have actually been breathing problems caused by a deviated septum pushed, grown or knocked into a breathing channel in your inner nose.
Other symptoms may include:
- Nasal stuffiness & congestion
- Nose bleeds
- Facial pain
Another dead-bang clue can be a case of sleep apnea along with snoring. The most advanced cases tend to wear at night doctor-prescribed face mask devices –as in the picture above — known as CPAPs (Continuous, Positive Air Pressure) that force air through the blocked places in your upper nose.
(Read more about Deviated Septum Surgery.)
While the surgical procedure to repair a deviated septum can require three to 10 days of recovery, some daily self-care can speed things along. Among the many items of self-care:
- Keep your head higher than your heart while resting or sleeping and ask for a laxative, if needed. The idea is to get good bed rest and sleep.
- Nasal saline solution can relieve congestion and loosen nasal crusting, if any. Keep crusting at bay with Vaseline on a Q-tip; hydrogen peroxide works, too. Afrin spay may help along with a room humidifier.
- If you had a Septorhinoplasty (deviated septum surgery plus a nose job in the same surgical session) and you have an incision on the outside of the nose, gently clean it with a Q-tip soaked in hydrogen peroxide; apply antibiotic on the incision per your surgeon’s instructions.
(Learn more about Septorhinoplasty)
- To reduce facial swelling, use an unopened bag of vegetables or an ice pack.
- Change saturated gauze packs under your nose; most bleeding stops within two days.
- Don’t blow your nose for ten days.
- Don’t stifle a sneeze; instead sneeze through an open mouth.
- If you have a Kotler Nasal Airway (KNA), call his office or read online how to clear the tubes.
(Read more about the Kotler Nasal Airway)
- Avoid smoking, smokers, dust, fumes and other irritants that could cause an infection.
- Hold off on your exercise schedule for 10 days. But walking is good; also stay out of the sun for six weeks and use a sun block on the nose thereafter. Because intimate relations relations raise blood pressure and can lead to bleeding, delay making whoopee during that same 10 days.
- Brush the teeth with care; the upper teeth will be tender and numb for several months.